The convent

the conventThe convent "St. Katharinenstift" was built in1894/95 by order of the peasant family Contzen and donated to the Catholic Church in Longerich.
It was meant for the sick people of Longerich to be treated here regardless of their religious denomination. Franciscan nuns moved in and
took charge of the nursing.

Later on young girls were trained by the nuns in the subjects day-nursery, housekeeping and medical care. During World War II also wounded soldiers were treated here under the medical care of the village doctor Dr. Wanda Antz-Oster.


the roof with MadonnaIn 1958 the convent was closed because of the shortage of medical staff. Father Werenfried von Straaten took over the buildings and worked for the "Ostpriesterhilfe" (aid for priests in Eastern Europe).

After being empty for a long time the house was bought in 1970 by the couple Drs. Antz. Since 1976 their daughter, the artist Wanda Antz, has been living and working in this building.

Through the exhibitions "Art in the convent“ and other events the house is again open to the public and for interested visitors a hospitable place.

The Convent
Heckweg 32
50739 Köln-Longerich

Detailed directions how to get there you will find under contact.